Friday, March 25, 2005

Robot Stories, by Greg Pak

This is a DVD, not a book, but it reminds me a lot of sci-fi stories that I've read and liked. The 4 separate stories are so refreshing, in that they have really no special effects at all - when was the last time we saw a science fiction movie like that? Even The Lathe of Heaven (new version) had a substantial budget for scenery, costumes and props, to make you feel like you were living in the future.

In contrast, Robot Stories have a speculative premise - what if... - and then uses it to explore themes of love, help, spirit, life, etc. It was by no means perfect, but it reminds me of the science fiction that I like best.

The short film format was also refreshing - kind of like having tapas instead of a big meal - , and lastly, I can't help but like the opportunity it gave to talented but under-used Asian-American actors.

What I'm reading now: Quicksilver, in e-book edition, yay! I started this in hardback but there was no way I was dragging that huge tome on the subway and in my backpack everyday, so I had to sneak in pages here and there before going to bed. I only got 1/3 of the way through it before my 21 days at the libary were up. So I grumbled to myself, why don't they have this as an e-book, and lo and behold, they did, at the NYPL! I can't rave enough about how much I love reading e-books on my new Palm (Sony TH55), and about how brilliant the NYPL is to offer e-books (though they need more)!

No comments: